Thursday, November 18, 2010

Miscellaneous Thursday

Yesterday I walked over to the library to get some books that were in for me. It turns out they were comic books!

Excuse me, graphic novels.

I saw Avalon High on the Disney channel over the weekend, and back when they were just showing trailers for it, I found out that it was written by Meg Cabot, one of my favorite authors! Which immediately drove me to the library website, and an order for the books. It turns out that you can get it either as a book, or as three graphic novels, and the listing on the library website didn't tell me that! And, since I ordered them (because they didn't have them at that branch of the library), I had to wait for them. It turns out that the had the book in the library all the time!

So, I went back today, returned the graphic novels, and got the book.

Meg Cabot writes most of her stories about kids in high school, but she's a writer who really tells a good story. I love her Mediator series, about a girl who can see and talk to ghosts. In fact, I looked to see if they had the beginning books of the series to borrow, but they're out at the moment.

So, I've finally got the book in my hands, ready to read!

But I won't be reading it immediately.

Two things I ordered from Amazon showed up today. The first is a book by Jim Butcher, full of short stories and one novella about Harry Dresden. It's called Side Jobs.


Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files

In the last full book of the regular series (Changes), it ends with an outrageous cliffhanger, and the sequel to that is the novella in Side Jobs called Aftermath. So, I'm going to read that first.

I have to find out what happened to Harry!

The other thing that arrived is something that I've been wanting to see in it's entirety ever since it aired on ABC Family and was broadcast without the closed captioning by Comcast. Since I have hearing problems, and Comcast also broadcast it with the sound going off and on, I missed a lot. So did people who can hear just fine! I can't wait to see the whole thing! Comcast has a lot to answer for!

If you're a science fiction fan, you'll probably love The Middleman! It pokes fun at other SF programs, and has a comic book flair that so absurd it's truly lovable! Holly, if you're reading this, the DVDs would be a great gift for Malaia and John. It's nearly as funny as Red Dwarf!

The package comes with a sticker on it that says "Sands of Zanzibar! The cult hit on 4 DVDs. Packed with Extras! As serious as a garbage bag full of rottweilers!" And it is, indeed, that serious!

*************************

So, naturally, instead of arriving on Tuesday or Wednesday, when there is almost nothing on TV, it had to arrive tonight, when I expect to be recording two programs at once for at least three hours, and then more after that.

Tonight, we have Vampire Diaries, Bones, and The Big Bang Theory, although they're on at the same time, so you'll have to choose what you want to watch. I expect to record Bones and Big Bang, and then switch to Diaries for the last half hour. There's a new Fringe tonight, too, and The Mentalist!

And, as if that weren't enough, there's a new episode of Burn Notice on tonight called Hot Property! An embarrassment of riches! I'm so thankful I have TiVo!

Bones just came on, which means that Big Bang is on, too, and I'm missing it! I have to go!

But I'll leave you with a photo of the yarn that arrived yesterday:


The white Fun Fur and white yarn for the heels and toes hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping it'll be here tomorrow. Doesn't that look like it will be perfect for some Christmas stockings?

Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment