Thursday, November 12, 2009

Legend of the Seeker, Happy Birthday Johnny and Grape Jam

If you don't absolutely hate sword and sorcery, you should watch or DVR The Legend of the Seeker tonight on SyFy! There were multiple episodes scheduled for tonight earlier in the week, but, in it's charming, whimsical way, SyFy has chosen to change the schedule at the last moment so that they WON'T be on tonight!

But if you like sword and sorcery at all, this is good stuff! It's based on the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind. I haven't read the books, but Sam Rami tells a good story in the TV series! The first few seem like individual stories, but after watching them, you start to see an overall story emerging, which eventually gets very exciting. It's been playing locally on the CW, sometime on Saturday and/or Sunday. You'll have to keep your eyes open because they keep changing the time, but it's worth tracking down. If you can't find it on TV, I recommend the DVD.

I didn't see a credits on the first episode of the new season, Marked, but it looked like Charisma Carpenter was in it, and, yes, IMdB says she was! This was a really good episode, and shows you can't tell the good guys, even with a score card, although we should have learned that from the last few episodes of the first season.

As of tonight, however, SyFy has returned to showing Doctor Who episodes very late on Thursday night (or early on Friday morning, depending on how you look at it)! They're continuing with The Stolen Earth tonight, which is the second of a three-part story following Turn Left. I really want to thank them for breaking the story up like that!

I want to thank them even more for scheduling Partners in Crime for next week, an episode that is the first one in the adventures of the Doctor and Donna, rather than the last of the three episodes in the story. I always love it when they show parts of a story out of order!

I shouldn't really complain. They show things in order so much of the time. I really want to thank them for showing Firefly in order, but they probably made a point of that since Fox showed them out of order and moved the time of the show, so I never got to see a whole show when it was on Fox, and never got to see them in order until they were on SciFi.

Sorry to ramble on like that!

What is on tonight (and brand new) includes Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Flash Forward and The Mentalist. They've stopped repeating Vampire Diaries on Thursday nights, unfortunately.

*************************

Today is my grandson-in-law, John Merillat's birthday!

Happy Birthday, Johnny!

****************************

Yesterday, the Encore Tweed in Grape Jam yarn arrived for Christmas presents!

I'm going to start with a wimple, but a very different one than I've made in the past. I'm considering this for a pattern if it turns out well.

Then there will be a hat, and I'll reassess mitts and a second hat depending on how much yarn is left.

Here's the beginning of the wimple, as far as I've gotten:



The color you can see on the left is the most accurate representation of the real color.

Here's a copy of the color as shown online. It looks a bit lighter and not as soft as the real color.

I am absolutely in love with this color and pattern so far.

I'm starting from the top down, so the photo shows the top of the wimple at the bottom of the photo. When I get to where it has to expand to go over the shoulders, I plan to have the pattern branch out and sprout leaves and possibly flowers. The whole thing is quite exciting for me! I keep knitting "just one more round" because the pattern is so pretty as it unfolds! Although the pattern will stay the same to the beginning of the shoulders, so I've about seen all there is for a while. The photo doesn't do it justice!

I need to look up some lavender colored flowers to put on this. Lilacs? No, too small. I thought about real grape flowers, and it's no wonder I've never seen them before because they're so tiny. I don't know. More research is in order.

*********************

Holly felt it was very important for me to know more about the pink flamingo, as it applies to lawn ornaments, so she sent me this:

The father of the pink flamingo (the plastic lawn ornament) was Don Featherstone of Massachusetts. Featherstone graduated from art school and went to work as a designer for Union Products, a Leominster, Massachusetts company that manufactured flat plastic lawn ornaments.

He designed the pink flamingo in 1957 as a follow-up project to his plastic duck.

Today, Featherstone is president and part owner of the company that sells an average of 250,000 to 500,000 plastic pink flamingos a year.
Just thought you might want to know.

**************************
Have a great time with all the wonderful TV that actually is on tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment