Saturday, June 7, 2008

Mathematic and Fiberarts

I was reading the TECHknitting blog, and found a very intriguing article about mathematics and fiberarts.

It took me to this site, which mentions a fascinating book. The book sounded so interesting that I put it in my Amazon store and you can find it here. Needless to say, I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it looks like something I want to buy as soon as I have the money.

You can find out more about how art and science coexist, and make your own model of chaos (it's very pretty) with the information here, and get a PDF of the crochet instructions for a Lorenz Manifold. Even if you're not interested, open the PDF and look at the part near the end. The finished Lorenz Manifold is stunningly beautiful!

I found more amazing articles about Knitting Mathematics, which has several wonderful links, Geometrics: a New Way to Crochet (this is a book which has a beautiful star afghan on the cover and some interesting projects), Crocheting a hyperbolic plane, and a list of a lot more.

Don't skip these pages because of the math. They are amazingly beautiful. Even if you aren't interested in math and crochet, these are a feast for the eyes.

Enjoy!

In the meantime, I have finally gotten around to washing the Mandalay silk yarn I bought for the rune bags. Of course, if I had been paying attention (and not so lazy) I could have washed it on Monday, then it would have had plenty of time to dry and be wound into balls by the time the knitting needles finally arrived. But then, that's the story of my life. I wanted to wash them because other people who used the same yarn (on Ravelry) mentioned the smell, which leads me to believe that there may still be some sericin in the yarn. Hence, the wash in hot water with plenty of soap. 

So, 4 skeins of yarn have been happily dripping into my tub overnight. They've just about stopped dripping, so I should be able to knit tomorrow. In the meantime, now that I have the needles to make the job nice, rather than a pain, I can finish the sample rune bag and find any bugs in the pattern.

I hope to have enough yarn to make 4 bags: a grey one for the lady who gave me a rune last year, a grey one for Holly, and a blue one and grey one for me. 

I live in hope that I can either get the sodalite runes that I bought, but never got, or find another set of runes just like it, plus I found some really beautiful clear crystal quartz runes online, and as soon as I get a few extra dollars, I plan to buy them. So, I'll need two rune bags.

Maybe I can find runes at the Celtic festival this coming weekend!

Lots of knitting ahead today!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment